The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) announced the first day to file tax returns in 2023 was January 23. If you don’t have an online IRS account yet, now is the time to create one. The steps below can help.
Registering an account online is a little time-consuming but worth the trouble. You can file taxes in the comfort of your home without having to visit the IRS in person. You need information like your address proof, payment proof, Social Security Number, and other important transcripts in hand before you create an account.
Why should you create an online account with the IRS?
The main reason why you need an online account is easy accessibility. You can check online with just a few clicks how much you owe the IRS and all your personal tax data will already be stored in your account. In simple words, it’s hassle-free and will save you a lot of time. Once your account is set up, you can get easy access to the following information:
- All details related to your tax returns
- Your adjusted gross income
- A detailed history of your tax returns in the past five years
- Digital documents of all the IRS notices
- The tax you currently owe the IRS
- Authorizations of tax professionals
Along with the above-mentioned benefits, you can also make payments to the IRS online. You don’t have to go through the hassle of saving hard copies since everything will be stored in your online account. Furthermore, when tax professionals request you for any kind of authorization, you can approve their request with just the touch of a button.
You can instantly get copies of all your tax returns and other important documents. If you want more protection, you can request an Identity Protection PIN that will protect your account. When you have a tax problem in the future, having an online account will be of great help.
Information you will need
Creating an online account will take just about 15-30 minutes. Here are some details you need before creating an account:
- The email address that you are currently using
- Mailing address
- The mobile number registered under your name
- Social Security Number or any other tax identification number
- State driver’s license, passport, and passport card
If you don’t want the IRS calling you or reaching out to you on your mobile phone, you can send your valid email address and activate your account with email code activation. You will receive this activation code in 10 days and it will be valid for 30 days. You have to activate your account with the given code before that time period otherwise your account won’t get activated.
How to register with IRS.gov
The simple way to register with the IRS is to visit the IRS page and head to the Your Account Online page. When you visit this page, you will find a “Sign in to your Online Account” button. Tap that blue button and it will take you to another page where you will have three options:
- Sign in with an existing account (Using ID.me)
- Sign in with an existing IRS username
- Create a new account (Click this if you don’t have an account yet and this is your first time)
Once you’ve clicked the “Create a new account” button which is outlined in green, you will have to do the following things:
- You will have to provide a valid email address and pick a new password
- Confirm your email address
- You can also allow multifaceted authentication to secure your account
- You have the option of choosing ID verification like a video selfie or having a video call with an ID.me agent
- You have to upload pictures of your ID
- Upload a video selfie or you can wait for an hour to have a video chat with an ID.me agent
- Provide your Social Security Number
- Lastly, give IRS authorization access to ID.me verification
Your online account will be operational once you have given the IRS permission to access your ID.me data and information.
How do ID.me and the IRS verify a person’s identity?
ID.me was launched in 2017. This is an identification program. It acts as a third-party verification company that works with the IRS, the Social Security Administration, and 28 other state government agencies. ID.me also verifies if you are eligible for student loans and discounts for students. It also verifies military members and the benefits given to them.
Can you make an online IRS account for your business?
No. The IRS hasn’t launched a portal where you can make an online account for business purposes. However, they are planning to develop an online account for business taxpayers. If you are an employer and run a business, you can pay your taxes online using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.
File with Line
File your taxes with Line. Estimate your Federal and State taxes for free. Enjoy hassle-free tax filing with our 100% accuracy and get the maximum refund. Get started now.